Spay And Neuter Discount Vouchers
Please note that there are many low cost animal hospitals and clinics in and around Orange County that offer spay or neuter surgeries at very affordable prices. Complete basic surgeries for male cats start at around $225 and basic surgeries for female cats less than $300 excluding complications. For dogs the surgery prices are largely dependent on weight and age. For a small dog (5-20 pounds) prices start around $280 for a male, and $350 for a female, excluding complications and any required additions such as pain medications, blood tests, etc. Veterinary pricing has been rapidly increasing and may change without notice. You should always call to confirm current prices and any additional expenses to make sure you are getting the “out the door” or total complete cost of the procedure. Also keep in mind that there may be additional items that are required by the veterinarian and may not be declined. These additional items include bloodwork, IV Fluids and medications needed to help ensure your pet is safe and comfortable. Optional items such as microchipping, nail trim, fecal exam, etc. are not required and may be declined.
If you feel you still cannot cover the cost of the surgery, you may apply for assistance with our discount vouchers using one of the options below.
Please note that our discount vouchers:
- Are ONLY accepted at approved hospitals where we have contracts and are non-transferrable
- Generally cover most of the cost of a basic spay or neuter surgery. A basic spay surgery involves removing the reproductive organs while the pet is under anesthesia.
- Do NOT cover any additional costs associated with conditions which complicate the surgery such as the pet is in heat, has tumors or an undescended testicle, or is obese.
- Larger dogs, especially at and over 50 pounds will incur additional charges for anesthesia and surgery.
- Brachycephalic dogs, and some breeds of cats such as Boxers, Pugs, Bulldogs, Persian Cats, Himalayan or Burmese Cats will be charged additional fees for anesthesia.
- Do NOT cover extra services, procedures or tests which may be required or recommended by the veterinarian. These may include, but are not limited to, office exams and deposits, pain and antibiotic injections, IV catheter, take home pain medications and/or an e-collar.
- Pre Surgical Blood Tests or Senior CBC bloodwork are strongly recommended and may be required by the hospital to ensure your pet is healthy and able to have surgery. These tests are not covered by our voucher and if required, may not be declined.
There are no zero cost spay and neuter programs in Orange County. If you qualify for our voucher program, you should still expect to have some out of pocket costs for your surgery.
Pets need to be current on vaccinations to be eligible for spay and neuter. If your pet is not current on vaccinations, you will not be eligible for some of our hospitals and voucher programs so plan ahead and get your pets vaccinated now.
For low cost Vaccinations, we recommend:
Vet Care Pet Clinic at 1-800-988-VETS
or HEART 4 Pets
Applications for vouchers are filled on a first come, first served basis for qualified applicants. Vouchers are limited to a maximum of 2 per household, and are not issued to rescue groups, fostered pets or animals you have adopted through shelters or rescue organizations. Not all applicants will be approved.
If you have received an unaltered pet from a rescue or shelter, please go back to them for assistance – it is not only their responsibility, it is their legal and moral obligation!
NOTICE: Surgical appointments for spay or neuter surgeries, particularly at lower cost hospitals are often booked out a minimum of 6-8 weeks, with some hospitals not having available appointments for 3 to 4 months.
If you are in need of an immediate surgical appointment, you will very likely have to pay a much higher cost at another hospital as our voucher will not be able to assist you. Be patient and respectful with the hospitals and make your appointment as soon as you receive your voucher.
We have limited space for qualified applicants for small dogs weighing 40 pounds or less and domestic cats and for our mobile clinic on December 18th.
In addition to income and eligibility qualifications, you MUST meet these additional requirements in order to be eligible:
- Be available with your pet(s) on Monday, December 18th and have transportation to take and pick up your pet(s) at our clinic location in Tustin.
- DOGS– Must be current on the following vaccinations: Rabies, DHPP and Bordetella
- CATS – Must be current on the following vaccinations: Rabies and FVRCP. FeLV is recommended but not required for indoor cats
- Must be able to provide written PROOF of required vaccinations.
- DOGS – Must be 40 pounds or less and may not be a Brachycephalic breed, such as Boxers, Pugs, or Bulldogs (Weight and size of Pet must be verified prior to surgery date. Due to size limitations, dogs who are over the size or weight limit will not be eligible to receive surgery at this clinic.)
All approved applicants will be required make a $50 Deposit prior to surgery, and an additional copayment of not more than $100 for dogs and $45 per cat the day of surgery. Due to special arrangements with our partner, there will not be additional charges for complications (such as hernia, deciduous teeth removal, dew claws, in heat, etc.) or any add on items with this special clinic. Microchipping is required if your pet does not already have one and will be done for the special price of $15 at the time of surgery.
Applicants must meet strict qualification guidelines and not all applicants will qualify or receive a response.
If you do not receive a response or your pet does not qualify, you may reapply on our regular application on the First Friday of the month at noon.
We have surgical appointments available for Small Dogs and Cats on Monday, December 18th with our Partner HEART 4 Pets.
You MUST meet all qualifications in order to be considered. Applicants who do not meet qualifications and requirements will automatically be denied and must reapply during our open application period on Friday, December 1st.
We do not maintain a waiting list.